Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Liggs <liggs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:27:24 +0000 (UTC)

What do you want?
1) files that are larger than 2 Gb (why ?) 2) tablespaces that can hold more than 2 Gb?

if 1 then :-

    you need to enable large file support, but lots of things do not 'understand' large files. Its a bit of a vague area.

if 2 then :-

    A tablespace can be bigger than 2Gb, if you run up against a 2Gb file limit, then add another datafile to the tablespace

    alter tablespace X add datafile '/f/f/f/f/f.dbf' size 2000m;

It sounds like it would be safer support wise to go with option 2, you end up with the same capacity (add lots of datafiles) and its less risky.

Liggs

"Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3D19E847.C332F221_at_mytoys.de...
> Joe Salmeri wrote:
> >
> > Here is the server configuration:
> >
> > Dual P3 Dell Server with 1.5 GB RAM
> > Redhat Linux 7.2
> > Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1)
> > Two Oracle databases created
> > Oracle TNS Listener configured
> >
> > Everything appears to be working properly with both database instances,
> > however we are unable to create a tablespace file that is larger than 2
GB.

> > I know that Oracle 8i supports tablespace files that are larger than 2
GB