Re: venting my spleen

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:01:19 -0400

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Please don't come back and vent. We are not a support group. We are not
> trained
> > psychologist. We don't prescribe Prozac.
> >
> > If after trying your best to correct the situation, should you fail, be
> pro-active,
> > find another job, and walk out the door. It is a job ... not a commitment
> 'til death
> > do you part.
> >

> Have you looked for alternative employment recently Daniel? Or maybe the US
> job market is just fine.

Uhhh... no it's not. Been looking for 6+ months... and 9 out of the last 13. usually not local therefore not cheap. Expenses run $25-30USD/hr alone. (Airfare, car, hotel, food) and then only by getting tickets 3-4 weeks ahead w/Saturday stay (sort-of), $50-75 for hotel (I usually have an aversion to rat-infested pigs styes) and compact size car and < $20/day for food.

Rates have gone from $75-100/hr (to the consultant) to $35-$50. And that's if you can be a dba (architect, development and production support) , programmer, sys admin (Unix, NT, VMS), net admin (CISCO CNE), know every application ever written for Oracle (SAP, PeopleSoft and a whole bunch I have never heard of...) and child-care provider all at the same time.

This forum helps me keep on top of things... Like it is nice to see that Oracle has finally decided to use ANSI stanard SQL (I am sure in part due to the influence of Rdb) -- even though there have been some recent posts regarding it being broke. A few patches from now it will be in really good shape. 9IRAC on Tru64 TruCluster (soon to be HP/UX Clusters) (Sheesh... with Cluster technology having been around since early 80's you would have thought that Sun, HP and IBM would have it working better than they really do.)

We won't get into the cluster war --- just yet :)

oh well... interviews the next couple of days and hopefully the companies won't take months to make a decision (One company has yet to make a decision in 3 months - and the job is still posted. We (4 candidates) haven't been eliminated just on "hold" )

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            OpenVMS User since June 1984
First DBA Source, Inc.    Registered Linux User #261163
Sr. Consultant            http://www.firstdbasource.com
Charlotte, NC             http://www.firstdbasource.com/donation.html
704-947-1089 (Office)     704-236-4377 (Mobile)