Re: Daniel Morgan and Syband Bakker

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 10:22:34 -0700

In article <af9oc4$7vu$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, jeff_at_work.com says...

>In article <tYJR8.140065$nZ3.58485_at_rwcrnsc53>, "Joe" <joegenshlea_at_attbi.com>
>wrote:
>>Thanks for your help.
>>
>>Daniel:
>>
>>Your answer to the Weibull post on 6/21/02 was as silly to an Economist or
>>Statistician as my post was on TUNING.
>>
>>Syband:
>>
>>First of all it strikes me that so many people who are insecure about their
>>intellect chose to use two-dollar words when a more common word is
>>sufficient. Do you think that you could have used the word "spelling" in
>>leiu of "orthography"? Do you refer to cars as "internal combustion
>>personal transport vehicles"? Secondly , I have been racking my brain on
>>how to spell "tuning" with one "n".... is it "tunig" or "tuing"?
>
>*ROFL* I guess you're supposed to share the "n." Saaaaay... does MTS also
>stand for "Multi-Threaded Spelling"? I personally use dedicated n's when
>spelling "tuning." It takes a little more memory and is less efficient
>perhaps when reading, but I like the response time better. ;-)
>

>>>First of all it strikes me that so many people are incapable to grasp
>>>the correct orthography of the word 'tuning', with *one* n.
>>>Secondly, if you only think a *little*, you could know a
>>>sort_area_size of 1 G for a system with 2 G is clearly outrageous and
>>>ridiculous. Sort_area_size is a per process limit, if you are not
>>>running dedicated server the sort_area_siz is NOT in the SGA, so
>>>evidently, the disk lamp in your server must be continually on,
>>>because you force the server to page *all the time*.
>
>Sybrand, if you are NOT "running dedicated server" (you're running MTS?) and
>using shared server processes, then the sort area is in the UGA, which IS in
>the SGA. If you ARE using dedicated server processes, the sort area is in the
>PGA and not the SGA.

Nope, sort area size is always PGA memory -- sort area retained.... now that might be in the UGA which is in the SGA when using shared server.....

sort area = PGA always.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/