Re: Some problem confusing me a long time.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:31:05 +0200

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:39:19 +0800, "xyz" <zyx_at_qzmcb.com> wrote:

>> 1. Oracle. Your local engineer believes in killing a mosquito with a
>> thermonuclear weapon.
>>
>> If alter system doesn't work then kill is fine.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan
>>
>Thank you!
>But what's the difference?
>Can you tell me the detail?

If you issue the alter system command PMON will clean up the session and stop the associated dedicated server process. It will also notify the client with the error message 'Your session has been killed'
If you issue a kill -9 PMON won't initially notice your process is dead, cleaning up the session and stop the dedicated server process will happen, however the client won't be notified. So, kill -9 is equivalent to pulling the plug from a fridge, or an alarm clock. The client won't initially notice it doesn't work anymore, with all possible consequences.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jun 22 2002 - 08:31:05 CDT