Max memory for Oracle on Linux

From: TR <tman_at_tman.dnsalias.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:58:34 GMT

Oracle 9x on standard Redhat 7.3 (2.4.18) kernel. Motherboard holds max 16 gigs RAM.

What is the max memory I can put into this beast, and have it be useable to Oracle for buffering I/O, e.g. the SGA, buffer cache, etc.?

I assume that since pointers are 32-bit types, the max is prob 2GB, maybe 3GB, since not the full 32-bits is useful to applications.

Application is currently on SQL Server 2K, and I estimate the working set is about 10GB. (SQL Server has Address Window Extensions, which swap pages of buffer in and out of a 32-bit address range, enabling usage of massive amounts of buffer). Not sure if Oracle on Linux has such a feature.

Thanks,
TR. Received on Sat Jun 22 2002 - 08:58:34 CDT