Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:21:07 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3d119c9f$0$236$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > So yes, I mean Instances. And since an Instance can only ever open 1
> > database, I also mean databases. When I teach OPS or RAC, and get a
> > situation where 1 database can be opened by more than 1 instance, I'll
let
> > you know.
>
> Does *anyone* teach OPS/RAC?

Not in Australia, as yet. But I'm working on it.

Actually, we have the services of an excellent man from Brisbane who doesn't work for Oracle per se, but is available for any of this sort of "hard" stuff. And there's the fundamental problem: DBA, BUR, PERF, NET8 -all standard bread-and-butter courses. Every week, without fail, there's one of these "easy" courses.

RAC???? -this is "advanced stuff", for which demand is low, therefore there's no money in it, therefore you being trained up to teach it is a waste of resources.

Trying to turn that mindset is difficult, but not impossible. We will be teaching RAC towards the end of the year, I hope.

Bear in mind that Australia is a pretty small place (well, it's humungously large as far as area of land is concerned, but there's only a population of 20 million and (I believe) about 13 parallel server sites. Nationwide.), so this isn't actually surprising. Just disappointing.

Regards
HJR