Re: Urgent!!! Upgrade Oracle and Hardware question ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 00:09:13 -0700

mostadam_at_yahoo.com (Frank) wrote in message news:<8bca69a5.0206191146.7216a00c_at_posting.google.com>...
> We have
>
> Oracle 8.0.5 on Win NT 4.0
>
> We move to
>
> Oracle 8.1.6 on Win 2k advance server
>
> Questions for Gurus:
>
> Any danger that performance decrease??? I heared some folks some
> stored procs after these kind of upgrade getting very slow.

We're moving a lot of servers/applications from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7. Some issues we've encountered, but not a serious performance decrease.

> What is the Hardware config you best recommended. Mostly about Hard
> Drive, RAID and Tape Backup and Network card
>
> For CPU we will use Dual Dell PowerEdge and We will have 2 GIG RAM but
> Hard Drive we dont know. DB size is aroung 40 GIG but will expand to
> 100 GIG in 3 years.

You would get much better response if you supplied an exact PowerEdge number. Without knowing disk subsystem configuration is very hard to decide how many and how big disk you should use. Because this is a low-end server I think that using RAID5 for all Oracle database files can be a sensible solution. However, I know nothing about your conditions - performance requirements, type of system (DSS, OLTP), traffic etc.
As tape backup maybe the best for you is local DLT drive. NIC you will get with server (10/100) and I do not think that giga ethernet is for low end DB server a must.
If you want more information from me and others here, you definitely need to supply more information to us.

P.S. Daniel was right, do not migrate to anything older than 8.1.7.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.