Re: 8.1.7.3 and the shared pool

From: Scott Gamble <zifnab_at_reddragon.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:56:53 GMT

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in news:aentb1$hm1$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl:

> Sounds like your database is a candidate for using the (new) init.ora
> parameter CURSOR_SHARING=force.
> Literal strings are replaced by bind variables before the statement is
> loaded in the shared pool. Later the literal values are binded. This
> could significantly reduce the number of different statements in the
> shared pool in your case.
>
> Read Metalink note 94036.1 " Init.ora Parameter "CURSOR_SHARING"
> Reference Note".
> Bugs are reported too! (It's a new feature you know).

It is a perfect candidate for it and is in the plans to do at some point down the road (doubtful on 8.1.7.3 we have hit enough bugs with it in 1.5 months of using it that management is going to be very leary of the new features). This still doesn't explain why 8.1.7.3 needs so much more space.

Scott Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 13:56:53 CDT