Re: 8.1.7.3 and the shared pool

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:36:56 +0400

I wouldn't rely on CURSOR_SHARING as there is a number of bugs known, and some caveats to know, with one major that it will rewrite queries you normally wouldn't want it to. Also, there is a bug fixed in 8.1.7.4, namely 2104071, which may, or may not be relevant to your situation. Bug description is as follows:

Bug 2104071 Fixed: 8174

  a.. Resource Leaks (eg: Memory Leak)
  b.. Shared Pool
  c.. XML / XDK

ORA-4031 / excessive "miscellaneous" shared pool use possible due to a single process acquiring a large number of PINS on a single library cache object.
This is known to affect the XML parser.

Although "this is known to affect the XML parser', it may wellaffect other areas as well...