Re: How does Oracle work under NIS

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:14:19 +0200

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:01:44 -0700, Chucky <ccarson_at_syrrx.com> wrote:

>I currently have the oracle user and dba group local to every database
>box. I want to place these on the NIS server and remove locally. Are
>there any known probelms to doing this?
>
>Thanks,
>CC

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

I see you are in for having some fun.
Question: do you think Oracle needs to continue to run when your NIS server is down? If you don't think so, go ahead, and be prepared for trouble.
Also be aware in Unix files the uid, and the gid is stored NOT the username. I had some fun several years ago, because the NIS uid and gid were not identical to the local uid and gid. I would avoid NIS *like hell*

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 12:14:19 CDT