Re: Oracle comparison

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 11:30:09 +0100 (BST)

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon-verwijderdit.nl> wrote:
>On 18 Jun 2002 04:50:59 GMT, Generic Poster <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh, I am sure it and its ilk would be suitable but we were uncertain
>>what advantages we would get for spending the $ on the commercial stuff.
>

>Rhetorical question: Do you want to fly in a 'free' plane?
>If so, go ahead and recommend 'free' software.

I'd quite happily fly in a plane designed by aviation engineers in their free time. I know several people who write popular free software, and they're extremely competent professional programmers. They don't suddenly lose all their skill when they leave the office and start work on their hobby.

However, I don't expect aviation engineers to design a transatlantic jet as a hobby. I'd quite happily recommend PostgreSQL where it's suitable, but it's not suitable for as many sorts of job as Oracle. You don't need to use Oracle for every read-only key/value store.

Anyway, if proprietary software was so great, we'd never see an ORA 600.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/