Re: Oracle comparison

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 21:50:06 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:

> Rhetorical question: Do you want to fly in a 'free' plane?
> If so, go ahead and recommend 'free' software.

Well, by far, the best software I've ever used is free and its called Emacs.

Linux has a tremendous usage base, although I've never made my jump to that platform. After a few more peppy lunch talks I'll take a weekend out and make that jump as well, I just don't want to have to undertake the time to make my Emacs init files cross platform compatible.

What about tomcat, or JBoss? How bout the jakarta site? There are a boatload of java distributions that are used in enterprise solutions.

Free doesn't mean price, if that were the case, then Emacs isn't anywhere close to free, cause time is money, and it takes one's time, thats for DAMN sure. Free means freedom. (I didn't quite understand this until I used it for well into two years)

BTW, what the heck are you doing on this board? Your time here is free.

--
Galen deForest Boyer