Re: Oracle/Veritas File System

From: pankaj <pankaj_at_ladbrokes.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:09:25 +0100

Hi ,

I have questions regarding VXFS on oracle 8.1.6 on solaris 2.7.

I created a volume group under raid 5 and then created a VXFS filesystem on this volume. I was moving from a UFS file system at the same time changing the Oracle character set.

Is it a good idea to create a volume with raid 5 and then create a vxfs file system. I did not see much improvement.

Is it also possible for you to send me a copy of the performance tests please

Pankaj.

"Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3D07941D.99D4425B_at_mytoys.de...
> > Could you provide more detail, if not in the group to my e-mail
> > address.
> > We have an customer on Solaris 2.6 that is using the Basic Edition of
> > Veritas that comes with Solaris and the customer needs to be convinced
> > he should buy the Advanced Edition. Using raw devices is not really an
> > option: the database(s) grow tremendously fast due to lack of
> > procedures to archive historic data (this is a 3rd party app, and we
> > can not address that issue).
>
> Your customer won't regret the decision (at least we didn't...)
> To give more details:
>
> We measured OS operations like copying a large file, copying multiple
smaller
> files, removing files and database operations like insert, update, delete.
>
> What we determined was a significant advantage of VFS vs. UFS (of course).
Also

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 11:09:25 CDT