Using DCA to create a 9i database

From: Loadrunner <load_at_runner.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:11:10 +0100

I'm having a few issues with creating a 9.0.1 database on Win2K Server using the Database Configuration Assistance.

I saved the instructions to create the database to a script file then executed the script in a command window.

Main script was as follows:

set ORACLE_SID=general

d:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim -new  -sid GENERAL -startmode m  -pfile
d:\oracle\ora90\database\initgeneral.ora
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim -edit  -sid GENERAL -startmode a
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog

@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\CreateDB.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\CreateDBFiles.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\CreateDBCatalog.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\JServer.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\ordinst.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\interMedia.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\context.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\ordinst.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\spatial.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\ultraSearch.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\cwmlite.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\demoSchemas.sql
d:\oracle\ora90\bin\sqlplus /nolog
@D:\oracle\admin\general\scripts\postDBCreation.sql

Initially got a failure when connecting to sqlplus in the CreateDB.sql script. Fails when trying to connect to sys/change_on_install as sysdba.

Now this is different to Oracle 8i as you would connect as internal and the -pwd parameter would have been supplied to oradim utility. In the script above the DCA has not supplied a -pwd parameter to oradim utility.

I got around this by not commenting out SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in sqlnet.ora. I've always done this on 8i because it made connections slow.

Even after this I am still having problems. The database is not created and looking in the alert file I found the following:

ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
ORA-01990: error opening password file
'd:\oracle\ora90\DATABASE\PWDgeneral.ORA'

ORA-27041: unable to open file
OSD-04002: unable to open file
O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.

Now this indicates that a password must be supplied with the oradim utility when creating the service.

What password would I supply, something for internal or change_on_install for sys?

Finally, I've noticed that the DCA does not create the subdirectories in the Admin directory such as adhoc, bdump, udump, pfile etc.

Using the DCA was quite straightforward on 8i. Doesn't look so on 9i or am I missing some settings somewhere.

Thanks if you can help here Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 08:11:10 CDT