Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:41:03 +1000

In article <ae518p$43ggl$1_at_ID-87429.news.dfncis.de>, you said (and I quote):

> Because J2EE can be deployed everywhere where you need
> scalability.

Your notion of a horizontal architecture is completely different from mine. And a lot of other people's.

> 2-tier (client-server) is not enough anymore, you know. How can
> you achive load balancing with client-server architecture? How can
> you achieve dynamic redeployment (software upgrades while the
> system is running)? Fail-over? Clustering? Message-oriented
> architecture?

I'm perfectly aware of the limitations of 2-tier c/s. And where did you get the quaint (and completely incorrect) concept that J2EE is the only way to achieve multi-tier or even that multi-tier is the sole domain of J2EE?
What on blazes is there in J2EE that even remotely "defines" multi-tier c/s?
One thing is c/s, the other is J2EE. Let's not confuse them, OK?

Just to let you know: load balancing, fail-over and dynamic redeployment have been around in IT since the last 20 years. That I know of. In one shape or another. Absolutely nothing new there. Other than Sun's claim that it is somehow magically new because they say so.

Clustering is new. You have however to show me what is it in J2EE that inherently allows it to take advantage of clustering. Last I looked it was the app server that did that, not J2EE. Which means that ANY multitier  architecture running in such app server will get the same benefit.

Message_oriented architecture? Where exactly is that happening? Oh, you mean "calling a method" is message passing? Here is a hint: learn about QNX. Then come back here with "message-oriented" architecture. That is the saddest joke of all this OO shebang, unfortunately.

> Oomph...
>
> J2EE already has successfull applications in the following areas: banking
> (big here in Frankurt!), stock trading, procurement (SAP), customer
> support (Dell), insurance...
>
> Looks like a pretty successfull technology to me.

Good. Some might consider the characteristics of the applications you mention as the same. Obviously, that small detail is lost in all the jazz.

You see, there is a *l-i-t-t-l-e* bit more about "banking" than just letting customers check their accounts on-line. As well as there is an itty bit more about IT than shopping carts.

However, you're free to mention the word "banking" as if J2EE magically addressed the ENTIRE IT needs of banking customers. Which would be anyone's definition of horizontality, except yours. Then again, you might think it's easy to fool everyone, everytime.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto