Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:41:04 +1000

In article <ae518p$43ggl$1_at_ID-87429.news.dfncis.de>, you said (and I quote):

> Because J2EE can be deployed everywhere where you need
> scalability.

What the heck has that got to do with horizontal market technology?

> 2-tier (client-server) is not enough anymore, you know. How can
> you achive load balancing with client-server architecture? How can
> you achieve dynamic redeployment (software upgrades while the
> system is running)? Fail-over? Clustering? Message-oriented
> architecture?

I'm quite aware of the limits of 2-tier c/s. How on earth do you jump from there to claim J2EE is the be all and end all of multi-tier c/s technology is a mistery to me.

As for all the buzzwords: be aware they've been around in the IT industry for at least 25 years. Nothing new there. Oh yes, Sun claims they are the innovators there. Unfortunately, that is a complete and utter lie.

> Oomph...
>
> J2EE already has successfull applications in the following areas: banking
> (big here in Frankurt!), stock trading, procurement (SAP), customer
> support (Dell), insurance...
>
> Looks like a pretty successfull technology to me.

Conveniently, we assume that "banking" (the industry sector) == "customer web access". Unfortunately, there is a LOT more about IT in banking than just letting someone pay bills with a browser.

However, it is easy to mention one area of a market where J2EE has found a niche and assume that the ENTIRE sector of the market is using that technology.

That is the difference between horizontal and vertical market technologies.

BTW, exactly how do you produce printed statements from J2EE via the MVC architecture? Because there are probably thousands out there who'd love to know how that is possible given current web browser technology.

I know for sure the J2EE "illuminati" where I work would love to know how. So far all they've come up with is "use Crystal Reports", which is a pretty poor line of argument. Particularly given that CR uses ASP, not J2EE...

And while we're here, how do you take advantage of J2EE in a batch overnight processing environment? Or do you think the need for that has magically disappeared? And exactly in what way does J2EE provide all those buzzwords mentioned before (you know: load balancing, fail-over, yadda yadda) in a batch or reporting environment?

Bugger, life wasn't meant to be easy was it?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto