Re: This one got me - server stucked

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 07:53:46 -0700

In article <1e8276d6.0206110549.ea6d6e3_at_posting.google.com>, pagesflames_at_usa.net says...

>My testing server 8.1.7.1.1 EE on WIN NT is making a great fun from
>me. I've sent a 4MB script with DDL commands. After processing about
>70% of this script server has got stucked. SQL*Plus window looks like
>processing script, but in spool file, no more lines with completed
>commands are created.
>After one hour I tried to learn what happened. The only sensible
>information I've got from v$session_wait where for this session is
>state WAITING and reason is: SQL*Net message from client.
>That's very confusing because I'm running this script directly on
>server, so no network issues can play a role. Also listener is
>running, and I can with no problem connect to database and run all
>commands from other SQL*Plus.
>Alert log, listener log, sqlnet.log didn't show any message about
>problem. Same is with event log in NT. There is a lot of swap space,
>disk space, tablespace space, rollback segment can grow as they like.
>Database is not in ARCHIVELOG. Output of script (from spool file)
>doesn't show any errors, which can has something common with this
>behaviour of server.
>Things like wait states, sql_area etc. looks good, but sqls are frozen
>and the last one is still the same.
>To be honest, I must admit, that this is a new thing to me and looks
>like the new (and very good) try of Oracle server to entertain me. :-)
>
>--
>
>Dusan Bolek, Ing.
>Oracle team leader
>
>Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
>can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
>this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
>proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
>email.

Generally, I would say that soemthing like this is pointing toward your script expecting something from you. Does it have any prompts or & values in it? I've seen this before when a script called another script that expected 5 values and olnly 4 were passed to it.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 09:53:46 CDT