This one got me - server stucked

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 06:49:16 -0700

My testing server 8.1.7.1.1 EE on WIN NT is making a great fun from me. I've sent a 4MB script with DDL commands. After processing about 70% of this script server has got stucked. SQL*Plus window looks like processing script, but in spool file, no more lines with completed commands are created.
After one hour I tried to learn what happened. The only sensible information I've got from v$session_wait where for this session is state WAITING and reason is: SQL*Net message from client. That's very confusing because I'm running this script directly on server, so no network issues can play a role. Also listener is running, and I can with no problem connect to database and run all commands from other SQL*Plus.
Alert log, listener log, sqlnet.log didn't show any message about problem. Same is with event log in NT. There is a lot of swap space, disk space, tablespace space, rollback segment can grow as they like. Database is not in ARCHIVELOG. Output of script (from spool file) doesn't show any errors, which can has something common with this behaviour of server.
Things like wait states, sql_area etc. looks good, but sqls are frozen and the last one is still the same.
To be honest, I must admit, that this is a new thing to me and looks like the new (and very good) try of Oracle server to entertain me. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.