Re: Oracle 9i does not use spfile on W2k?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2002 15:28:35 -0700

Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de> wrote in message news:<PM0003A2F9A086FDE5_at_hades.none.local>...
> Hello out there,
> yesterday we installed Oracle 9i on a W2k Server. I created a spfile
> from the init.ora and it is used when I startup the database from
> SQL*Plus but it is not used when the database is started automatically
> after server reboot.
> The documentation (Administrator's Guide for Windows) describes the use
> of oradim which can be used to make an instance startup automatically
> but it does not even mention the spfile. Oradim has a pfile parameter
> but none regarding spfile (at least not in the docs).
> Now the question is what can I do to make the automatic startup use the
> spfile instead of the init.ora?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Lothar

I only used the starter database supplied with 9.2.0.1.0 on Windows 2000 Pro.
It uses an spfile in the location (as one would expect) %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE\SPFILE%ORACLE_SID%.ORA. There is no parameter in the registry for this particular database (as oradim would usually create an entry for ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_PFILE : REG_EXPAND_SZ : D:\Oracle\Admin\%ORACLE_SID%\pfile\init%ORACLE_SID%.ORA) but the command used by the NT Service is d:\oracle\ora92\bin\ORACLE.EXE START92
which does start the service and instance correctly.

If there was both an spfile and pfile entry in that location, I do not know which would take precedence.

hth,

Paul Received on Sun Jun 09 2002 - 17:28:35 CDT