Re: PACKAGEs; exception propagation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:40:40 +0200

"ronald" <ronald_at_foo.com> wrote in message news:adtalu$26jqq$1_at_ID-87429.news.dfncis.de...

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
>

> > 1 recompiling a package body usually takes less than a
> > minute. Are you really so impatient that you consider that
> > to be 'awkward'?
>
> The need to compile _entire_ package body, for just a
> minor change in a procedure, _is_ awkward.
>
> Right now there are 54 procedures in my package.
> For each and every tiny change I have to compile
> them all.
>
> That's suboptimal. And that's the reason why dependencies,
> MAKE, ant... were invented.
>

> > 2 You didn't read Connor's reply.
> > If you define exception in a package header you can trap them from a
> > calling procedure. If the calling procedure is outside the package you
> > can trap them in the calling procedure using
> > <package_name>.<exception_name> That might be 'awkward'
> > again, but that's the way it is.
>

> What about the following scenario: I have procedures
> P1 and P2 which are
> standalone procedures, ie do not belong to any package.
> Procedure P1 calls P2. Procedure P2 raises an Oracle
> exception. Ultimately, P2 exits to host environment,
> and NOT to P1.
>
> What I would like to do, is to catch all Oracle exceptions
> (raised in called procedure P2) in the calling procedure
> P1, so that if P2 fails, P1 continues with processing.
> But unfortunately that's not possible. Whenever I
> encounter an exception in P2, calling procedure P1
> exits as well.

I see your ignorance of pl/sql is as big as is your inability to read and your arrogance.
What you state in your last section is ultimately rubbish and simply NOT true, as I explained to you before.
If you don't trap exceptions in P2 they are propagated to P1. That is defined in any PL/SQL book and in the PL/SQL manual. So what's wrong with you?
Are you blind?
Brainwashed by Microsoft?
Then please don't ask assistance here.

Regards