Re: PACKAGEs; exception propagation

From: ronald <ronald_at_foo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 18:16:34 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>

> 1 recompiling a package body usually takes less than a
> minute. Are you really so impatient that you consider that
> to be 'awkward'?

The need to compile _entire_ package body, for just a minor change in a procedure, _is_ awkward.

Right now there are 54 procedures in my package. For each and every tiny change I have to compile them all.

That's suboptimal. And that's the reason why dependencies, MAKE, ant... were invented.

> 2 You didn't read Connor's reply.
> If you define exception in a package header you can trap them from a
> calling procedure. If the calling procedure is outside the package you
> can trap them in the calling procedure using
> <package_name>.<exception_name> That might be 'awkward'
> again, but that's the way it is.

What about the following scenario: I have procedures P1 and P2 which are
standalone procedures, ie do not belong to any package. Procedure P1 calls P2. Procedure P2 raises an Oracle exception. Ultimately, P2 exits to host environment, and NOT to P1.

What I would like to do, is to catch all Oracle exceptions (raised in called procedure P2) in the calling procedure P1, so that if P2 fails, P1 continues with processing. But unfortunately that's not possible. Whenever I encounter an exception in P2, calling procedure P1 exits as well. Received on Sat Jun 08 2002 - 11:16:34 CDT