Re: DROP COLUMN uses rollback?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:32:25 +0100

When you go from 'unused' to clearing the columns out, you might want to look at:

alter table XXX move nologging;

which will recreate the table with the columns present, unavailable, but null - reclaiming most of the space with very little undo and redo. And/or

alter table XXX
drop unused columns
checkpoint 1000;

which issues an internal commit every 1000 cleaned rows, and therefore limits the amount of undo used at any instant. (Of course, as a series of small transactions, this may cause other long-running processes to hit a 1555 error).

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars