Re: Urgent News Flash

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 22:20:27 GMT

Oh, Niall, what am I to do with you?

The Impenetrable Cube of Bureaucratic Obstructive Time Consuming Force is only to be invoked when either you suspect something fishy, or when in your judgment you feel the request is totally insane, or when you know they already have that report on their desk or in their PC. Or when it passes all those tests but you know its going to take about 5000 lines of code to do it and they want it while they are standing there waiting.

Didn't you ever play Dungeons & Dragons?

As guardians, IT and telecom people have that last defense few others are granted.

Tell them they're NOT going to get what they want, but use about 1000 words to do it, that condenses to something that means neither yes nor no, nor we have it or we don't, , while scheming a way to get a hold of your boss 3 levels up and give him or her the high sign.

"Yes, Minister!" should be required viewing for all Oracle people.

S.

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3cfe314f$0$8508$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > But get real everyone.
> >
> > There's been all sorts of direct and circumstantial evidence indicating
> that
> > terrorists and the like have been making use of the Internet for quite
> some
> > time in coordinating their plans, and there's even web sites with Martha
> > Stewart [No aspersion or offense meant to Ms. Stewart] "How to Build A
> > Horrible And Devastating, Yet Decorative Bomb" recipes. After September
> 11,
> > someone had to unleash the bloodhounds.
> >
> > I honestly do not know what to think or say, as an American, or as an IT
/
> > Database / Telecomm / Defense person. I know numerous freedoms are being
> > infringed in unprecedented ways (for Americans; the Official Secrets
Acts