Re: SAN revisited

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:52:15 GMT

Oops.. thought you were talking about NAS for a second :)

Anyway, we run e4500's + a5200's w/ fibre hubs.

I store everything on the disk array, including the software. This is a clustered environment, and I can move databases from server to server in mins, if one server failes (and cluster does this automatically).There is a white paper from Oracle which suggests to stripe and mirror everything and don't separate anything. They suggest putting all the 'hot' data on outside tracks of the disks, b/c they supposedly spin faster and can read data faster. http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/performance/pdf/opt_storage_conf.pdf However, using Veritas VM i was not able to identify outside tracks (see discussion in solaris group)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=3c5ee185.444730308%40news.globix.com&rnum=16&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dgroup:*solaris*%2Bauthor:netcomrade%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26start%3D10%26sa%3DN By putting stuff on your local drive, given that you have a decent i/o card and drives you might be able to spread data load a bit. But i'd be careful, and would mirror those drives.

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:22:28 GMT, spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote:

>A few weeks ago I posted, requesting general comments and experiences on the use
>of SAN with Oracle databases. Now I have a followup.
>
>Given a server connected to a SAN (this will be Dell hardware if it makes any
>difference) and hosting multiple databases, is there any performance or
>administrative advantage to keeping some of the files on local drives?
>
>What I'm thinking here is that perhaps local drive access will be somewhat
>faster than the SAN and so might be a better location for rollbacks and temp
>space.
>
>--
>Ed Stevens
>(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)

We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 16:52:15 CDT