SAN revisited

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:22:28 GMT

A few weeks ago I posted, requesting general comments and experiences on the use of SAN with Oracle databases. Now I have a followup.

Given a server connected to a SAN (this will be Dell hardware if it makes any difference) and hosting multiple databases, is there any performance or administrative advantage to keeping some of the files on local drives?

What I'm thinking here is that perhaps local drive access will be somewhat faster than the SAN and so might be a better location for rollbacks and temp space.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)