Re: Installation of Oracle 9ias hangs...

From: Sander <sander_at_example.com>
Date: 05 Jun 2002 11:21:56 GMT

Manu <manu_at_phlcommunication.com> wrote in news:adkfl8$eo7$1_at_wanadoo.fr:

> Hello
>
> I am actually trying to install Oracle 9i Application Server
> Enterprise Edition on a Pentium 4 running Windows NT 4.0 SP5, RAM:
> 512Mo, virtual memory: 1024Mo, and lots of HD space (something
> like 40Go). I runned a patch allowing me to use the Oracle
> Universal Installer on this machine, and now, the installation
> starts well. After I answer all the questions it asks in the
> beginning (sys password, oracle user to use, NT password, Oracle
> SID and so on), the server begins to work, but stops at 1% of the
> installation process, during the execution of a script called
> 'catload_unix.sql'. I don't get any error, the script simply idles
> during hours. The database we use is Oracle 8.1.7 on a remote SCO
> Unixware 7 server, and works well usually. The connexion between
> the 9iAS machine and the Oracle 8.1.7 Server works perfectly using
> an Oracle Client. At this point, an error log is generated in the
> Oracle 9iAS logs directory, that contains:
>
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:

[...]

Two things:
1. Upgrade to SP6a. All older service packs are unsupported when you are installing 9iAS Release 2 (9.0.2).

2. Search Metalink or OTN.oracle.com or this newsgroup for the 'Pentium 4 bug'. You may need an update for your installer :-)

Sander Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 06:21:56 CDT