Re: copy database to new machine method...

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 4 Jun 2002 22:51:55 -0700

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<%kbL8.21900$qA.755398_at_news2.telusplanet.net>...
> To move an 8.1.7 db to a newer machine with the same OS(2000 advanced
> server) I decided to try the following rather than the usual exp/imp or
> clone using copy datafiles etc.. and create database/controlfile from trace
> file:
>
> *installed 8.1.7 on new machine, create listener
>
> *shutdown db on old server
>
> *did cold backup
>
> *created identical directory structures for db on new machines drives (drag
> & drop)
>
> *copied datafiles, init.ora, control files and redo logs to new machine
>
> *created internal password using orapwd
>
> *set oracle_sid to [sid]
>
> *create instance on new machine using oradim -new -sid [sid] -pfile
> ["pfile"]
>
> *start new instance using oradim -startup -sid [sid] -intpwd [pwd]
> -starttype srvc -pfile'[pfile] (-starttype srvc,inst returned ORA-12560?)
>
> *use net8 assistant to create tnsnames.ora with new sid
>
> *start up database from svrmgrl using startup pfile=[pfile]
>
> This almost seems to easy, at least it went much smoother than any other
> method I've used in the past. With the datbase shutdown, one could even
> drag the entire directories and contents to the new machine rather than use
> the backed up files. (this is not a large database)
>
> Before I put this in to production is there any possible pitfalls I may
> have missed using this method?
>
> TIA
This is very easy if you are re-creating the database on a different Win32 platform i.e. WinNT/2000 server. However, few things to remember.

  1. You don't have to create the exact same directory structure on the new machine (If you choose not to). You can re-create the control files and assign different directory structure.
  2. When you shut down the original instance, use "shutdown normal" from server manager. You can do this by "shutdown immediate" then "startup" and then "shutdown normal". This way all your log files are flushed out and you won't have to perform recovery "using logfiles" when creating new database. This is useful if you are creating different directory structure.
  3. Make sure that Oracle versions on both machines are same down to the exact patchset. You can still create the database on the new machine if patchset on the new machine is greater then the original machine. In this case you would have to run the catalog files again to bring your database to new patchset and recompile all invalid objects. However, you cannot re-create the database this way if new machine is on older patchset then the original one...you would need to exp/imp.

Regards

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 00:51:55 CDT