Re: copy database to new machine method...

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 5 Jun 2002 03:50:57 -0700

rsarwar_at_ifsna.com (Rauf Sarwar) wrote in message news:<c2d690f2.0206042151.6df7821e_at_posting.google.com>...
> 2) When you shut down the original instance, use "shutdown normal"
> from server manager. You can do this by "shutdown immediate" then
> "startup" and then "shutdown normal". This way all your log files are
> flushed out and you won't have to perform recovery "using logfiles"
> when creating new database. This is useful if you are creating
> different directory structure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shutdown immediate is pretty same as normal with exception of killing user sessions and rolling back their uncommitted transactions, so no recovery is performed after starting of instance. Only after shutdown abort is need for automatic recovery using log files.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.