Re: A big thanks to all the Ozzies

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:33:29 +1000

In article <ademmr01aqm_at_drn.newsguy.com>, you said (and I quote):
> Always makes it worthwhile doesn't it? Hope all goes well with your "minor
> surgical thing" - I'm off the air from tomorrow for back surgery myself, though
> I'm not sure how long for.

Sheeesh Pete, we're getting old eh? All the best for your stuff. Mine went OK. Umbillical hernia. Result of an aggressive schedule with the backyard and some heavy lifting, last year. A bit sore and a world of pain after. But the pain killers were VERY effective and with interesting side-effects... ;-)

All is almost normal now. Back to work day after tomorrow, straight into a bunfight meeting about "development strategy"... ¦Þ Am really NOT looking forward to it.

> As a complete aside, how did the forum go from a participant perspective? With
> presenters like that it can't have gone badly, but it would be interesting to
> hear the participant viewpoint.

Absolutely rocked. Some of the prezzies covered areas already dealt with ad nauseam here, in Oracle-L and in books and papers, but it's always good to clarify a few points with the actual authors. Steve was as he always is: absolutely off this world. The guy lives in a different sphere. Jonathan was excellent, with lots of practical advice and his own experiences with "pushing the envelope". Very precise, the index stuff was very useful. Excellent, both of them.

Anjo was very good, but I wish I understood dutch (flemish?): he obviously communicates much better in his own language. He and Loiza were behind most of this wait stuff in the first place. He's doing some VERY interesting work with low level OCI calls. I'm almost tempted to brush the cobwebs from my C compiler and try some of the things he mentioned! Really cool stuff. Won't detail it here, not sure how far he wants to take it and don't want to steal his thunder.

Mogens had plenty of good humour and good rapport with everybody and his subject was quite interesting. I believe he was standing in for Bjorn Ensig but it was good value nevertheless. I missed most of Jakob's as appserver is not my cuppa. James Morle was awesome with the SAN stuff and really confirmed some of my ideas on why these beasts can be so good (and so awful!).

Would do it all again tomorrow if given the chance.

Hang in there, chief. All the best for the back thing. Come back here soon and let us know how you're doing.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto