Re: replication between to db's with same sid

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 06:58:19 +0200

On Fri, 31 May 2002 22:17:02 GMT, "David Simpson" <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net> wrote:

>David,
>Advanced Replication does insist that the databases match their database
>links. You may change the database name if necessary after the database has
>been created with the follwing info:
>-- changing global_name of database
>1) Write global_name to database using the format "PROD1.WORLD".
>Note: No more than one period is allowed, and the name must be in for format
>of db_name "." db_domain.
>2) Then if the global_name needs updated to a non-standard format like
>"PROD1" (with no db_domain), update the table after step 1 has been
>completed:
>update global_name set global_name = 'PROD1';
>commit
>or
>update global_name set global_name = 'PROD1.NEW';
>commit
>Note: In all cases, the database link name must exactly match the database
>global_name because the init.ora global_names parameter must be set to TRUE
>in order for replication to work correctly.
>
>I have a few tips like this documented clear at the end of the following
>page on my website:

1 is simply incorrect. Period. You can have domain like stations.ns.nl without ANY problem
2 This is just screwing the dictionary.
The official method is
alter database rename global_name to db_link

Hopefully not all of your 'tips' on the site you are constantly promoting are of the same value.

Could you also PLEASE stop promoting your own products NOW. By now everyone knows they exist, and you are currently clearly abusing this group for your own promotional goals.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 23:58:19 CDT