Re: Database link and global names

From: George Barbour <gbarbour_at_csc.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:54:09 +0100

"Martin Drautzburg" <martin.drautzburg_at_web.de> wrote in message news:87d6vciwvn.fsf_at_web.de...
> "George Barbour" <gbarbour_at_csc.com> writes:
>
> > If you rename global_names from FALSE to TRUE.you will almost definitely
> > have to recreate all your database links unless your DBA was extremely
> > correct when he initially created them.
>
> In my environment global names has *always* been set to true and the
> database link names matched the global names of the databases they
> point to - and the world was at peace.
>
> The only thing that has changed is that links named "foo" magically
> got renamed to "foo.world" after the 8.1.7 migration. Now "foo.world"
> points to a database called "foo".
>
> I simply don't know how to create a database link "foo" under
> 8.1.7. The oracle Zwangsbeglückung always adds a ".world" suffix.

Humm,
 The magic is the global_name suffix for the database. e.g global_name = db_name + db_domain

You could try specifically setting your db_domain to " ". Then create the database link.

Or more drastically, specifically set the global_name to "whatever", create the database link, then reset the global_name back to what is was, although I suspect this might not work.
I will be experirmenting with global_names this weekend.

George Barbour. Received on Fri May 31 2002 - 06:54:09 CDT