Re: BEQ problem (was Re: Yet another TNS "could not resolve service name" problem)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 21:59:33 +0200

On 30 May 2002 11:17:41 -0700, delgrandedp_at_navsea.navy.mil (Don Del Grande) wrote:

>When I tried logging in to the "problem account" through SQL*Plus, it
>logged me in successfully, so I assume the TNSNAMES.ORA entry is not
>the problem.
>
>A look at the SQLNET.LOG generated by the executable (it might help if
>you know I'm running on WinNT 4.0) comes up with:
>
>(Note that "whatever.world" is an entry in TNSNAMES.ORA,
>"DUCKMAN" is the NT network name of the PC through which the
>access is being attempted, and "whosin.exe" is the application
>being executed that is having the errors.
>
>Also note that some newlines have been added by me for clarity)

>Fatal OSN connect error 12154, connecting to:
> whatever
>
> VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
> Time: 30-MAY-02 10:42:22
> Tracing not turned on.

>Fatal OSN connect error 12547, connecting to:
> (DESCRIPTION=
> (ADDRESS_LIST=
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL=BEQ)
> (PROGRAM=oracle80)
> (ARGV0=oracle80ORCL)
> (ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA=
> (SID=ORCL)
> (CID=(PROGRAM=whosin.exe)(HOST=DUCKMAN)(USER=ddelgrande)
> )
> )
> )
>
> VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
> Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows:
> Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
> Time: 30-MAY-02 10:42:22
> Tracing not turned on.
> Tns error struct:
> nr err code: 12206
> TNS-12206: TNS:received a TNS error during navigation
> ns main err code: 12547
> TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
> ns secondary err code: 12560
> nt main err code: 517
> TNS-00517: Lost contact
> nt secondary err code: 0
> nt OS err code: 0

>The executable works when the default Oracle directory is an 8.0.4
>(with the network directory "Net80"), but not when it's 8.1.7 (with
>network directory "network"); however, copying the 8.0.4 SQLNET.ORA
>and TNSNAMES.ORA into a newly-created directory "Net80\Admin" directly
>(i.e. a "Net80" directory, containing an "Admin" directory, containing
>the .ORA files) below the client Oracle home directory, in case it was
>looking for that specific subdirectory name, did not fix the problem.
>
>SQLNET.ORA looks like this:
>
>NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world
>NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world
>SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE,BEQ)
>NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME, ONAMES)
>TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
>
>However, when I set TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = 16, SQLNET.LOG still says
> [...]

You did actually ever read any manual, did you? So, why don't you just stop *hacking*, and work by the book.

So either
- try to read the manual
or
- try to follow up suggestions, and try to specify your crap configuration as precise as possible, including which version of the client you are using and which version on the server, and whether client and database are on the same system or
- hire Oracle support and/or a consultant to resolve your problems

but definitely...................

- STOP BORING THE GROUP Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 14:59:33 CDT