Re: replication between to db's with same sid

From: Edzard <edzard_at_volcanomail.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 12:23:20 -0700

Hello,

This is a mind-expanding question.

I'd first say that the sid's are not relevant. The two databases mutually call each other by their global name. Or actually by the name of the database link from the one two the other. Oracle has the "global_names" initialization parameter which, if set to true, forces database link names to be equal to the global name of the destination database. So then the two databases are NOT symetrical.

But the two databases are not symetrical anyway, as even with multi-master replication, there is only one master DEFINITION site!

Now comes my brainwave: use THREE databases! I don't know how many servers you have, but with three databases you can have one master definition site and two additional sites. These should be fairly identical. Except for their global names may be, but that is not difficult to change.

Admittedly I doubt it is practical for your purpose. Replication is difficult anyway. You need to take it into account in your database triggers, in cascade delete constraints in sequences and for long-fields, as far as my experience goes.

Edzard