Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition and WebDB

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:34:28 +1000

WebDB is like the Neanderthal cousin to 9i Application Server Homo Sapiens. Although it was never terribly robust, it was most definitely cerebellum-ly-challenged, and got dumped a long time ago in favour of its nimbler, more capable and infinitely more evolved relative.

I suppose you are in a bit of doo-doo now. To answer your specific question, no, you can't safely use any old disk lying around, and the results of you doing so would be unpleasant to say the least.

Try talking to Oracle in the first instance: they may point out an upgrade path for WebDB of which I am unaware. They may also run for the hills expostulating "9i! 9i! 9i!" under their breath. Who can say for sure until you ask?

Essentially, I think you've got to upgrade the WebDB components to 9iAS first, and then do the database migration. But me and Java get along like two bosom buddies that would like to murder each other, so don't take my word for it.

Regards (and regards to the British Library, the most civilised institution I know)