Re: EXPORT File Format / Export API

From: Thomas Gaines <tanguero_at_pcisys.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:25:30 -0600

The Oracle exp program produces a file in a proprietary format, and there isn't a public API that one can use to either create an export file or read one. You're on your own.

Perhaps you can take advantage of Oracle's heterogeneous services to create a connection to a non-Oracle data source and then have Oracle create an export file from that source. I haven't tried that yet myself, so don't take my word for it that it will work.

If that approach is unsuccessful, then perhaps you can build an input file to be read by SQL*Loader or maybe even build your own "insert xxxxx" statements over on the other machine.

Bye,
TG