Re: Learn Oracle?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 06:30:13 +1000

"Greg Strong" <Greg_at_NoSpam.net> wrote in message news:hjhveu8pi7ishdt1lbi9f9n7ke2q6ahr1f_at_4ax.com...

> On Sat, 25 May 2002 08:28:34 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The only way to learn Oracle is to play with it. So get the Enterprise
> >Edition downloaded and installed, and start (I'd suggest you stick with
9i).

> I do have a question regarding your comment above given the fact I'm
> presently running on Win98. Which download on
> http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/content.html ?

Sorry. I thought you said you wanted to learn Oracle. Fat chance of doing that on a Win9x platform. Dump 98, and load XP or 2000. Then you can learn the Enterprise Edition properly. You are crippling yourself before you even start if you insist on sticking with 98.

> The logistics here bring up more questions when I look at
> http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/8i_personal/htdocs/winsoft.html .
>
> 1) What type of PC would be best to learn?

Any reasonably capable PC, with 300MHz or faster processor and stacks upon stacks of RAM.

> 2) With the "Oracle9i Personal Edition" download A91514-01.zip file having
> a size of 553,820,525 bytes I don't think a dial up connection will cut
> the cheese. I would think a DSL connection would be minimum. If my
> memory is correct cable is fastest when the load on the network is not to
> great. Have you downloaded any of these appliations? If yes, what type
> of connection was used? How long did it take?

I just downloaded Oracle 9i release 2, all 1.6Gb (or so) of it, and on a 56K dialup modem, with GetRight download software to cope when the line got dropped. It was painful. I wouldn't recommend it. It took about 4 days, 24 hours a day.

> 3) Aren't these downloads just a 30 day trial?

No, they are fully working versions. The only restriction is the licence: thou shalt not use them to develop commercial software which earns you a packet, without sharing some of it back with Oracle first.

> I do have a sincere interest to learn, but after an initial inquiry it
> does look like I have some entry barriers before the learning process can
> even begin.

What entry barriers? Get a decent operating system: that's not a barrier, that's something you should have done a couple of years ago (Windows 2000 has been out a while now). Downloads a problem? OK, ditch the download idea: for $77AUS (I have no idea what it is in your local currency) you can get Oracle to ship you the entire set of CDs.

Honestly: if you're going to give up at these 'barriers', it's probably best that you *don't* try and learn Oracle. You need a bit more gumption than that.

Maybe you should become a consultant instead?

Regards
HJR