Re: Oracle on Unix vs Oracle on win nt

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 14:35:27 +0200

Since Oracle 8.0 Oracle has a Virtual Operating System (consult the book of James Morle Scaling Oracle 8i for more details) so the different ports are not independent anymore. This allows Oracle to release the most important ports at the same time.

I would like to add also add another aspect. Administrators on NT (if the shop has an administrator at all) are usually handicapped because they *only* know how to use the GUI. You will find Unix administrators are usually more technically proficient. Thus, you will find less sites on Unix running Oracle, which basically look like a bomb fell on the system.
Too many NT administrators have insufficient skills, and are missing elementary issues with respect to their installations (nice example: server with 3 network cards, one with a fixed IP and 2 DHCP client. There was no DHCP server in the domain. This resulted in error messages in the eventlog every 2 minutes)

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA