Re: PK on different columns on partitioned table

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:30:06 +0200

NetComrade wrote:

> I have a table which I want to partition by date.
>
> However it's Primary Key is a combo of another two columns.
>
> I don't recall all the features of partitions, but what index should I
> build, to have any partition manipulations (dropping mostly)
> transparent to the user.
>
> Thanx.
> We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> remove NSPAM to email

Build local indexes only. Preferable local prefixed indexes. Global indexes will be set invalid when altering/dropping a partition. Ie. all the 'remainig' part of the index has to be rebuild, takes cpu power and time. Can allso be difficult when there is heavy dml on table.

/svend Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 12:30:06 CDT