Re: Oracle Myths

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:12:05 +0400

> You are aware of the case of a woman against a magnetron supplier? She put
> her cat in the magnetron because the cat got wet outside. The cat didn't
> survive, and she sued the supplier because of the fact tit was not in the
> manual you shouldn't put your cat in it to dry.
> The woman *won* the case.

Yes, I heard of this case. Since I do not know all details of the case and I am not a lawyer anyway, I can't comment on this definitively. I can only suggest that the manual did not contain any disclaimer of responsibility for possible damages if the product is misused (that is, not used strictly according to the manual, which obviously didn't include a section on drying cats.) Nowadays, most vendors disclaim such responsibility expressly (probably taught by the case you mentioned). That is, if you try something that's not described in the manual, and get unexpected results, it's all your own fault. I also heard of a case of some man bying a very expensive waterproof watch which was guaranteed to resist water under any circumstances on depths up to 100m. Ok, he put them into the pot and boiled them for about an hour to 'sterilize' them. They stopped. The man sued the vendor for false advertisement and managed to win the case. After that, they put 'DO NOT BOIL' in the manual. :) Dunno if this is a joke or real case though.