Re: Oracle Myths

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 May 2002 15:10:26 -0700

In article <7LwF8.83809$Ze.13075_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>, "koert54" says...

>> Nope, and for damn good reasons. I've heard horror stories of people who
>> haven't used it the right way. I sure wouldn't want to support the
>results in
>> any other way than enforcing it as strictly as we do! :)
>
>hmm from what I have seen it's pretty easy to extract data with DUL - the
>result will be same
>no matter who's in front of the keyboard - the only difficult thing about
>DUL is setting the
>platform specific parameters. And DUL only does reads - so it's not like
>it'll damage the DB
>even more ... BBED on the other hand is shipped with Oracle on the NT
>platform and *will* let
>you change the blocks directly, being able to corrupt data quite easely
>without deep knowledge of
>oracle block structures ... I can't imagine what those horror stories would
>be, I can only imagine
>the relieve of the IT departement recovering whatever data they can get.

Well, if you had an idiot in front on the keyboard ... ;)

>btw Pete - you working for Oracle and all - why did Oracle ship BBED with
>Oracle on NT and didn't
>bother to document it - they even password protected it ... is this a *bug*
>and it shouldn't be there in
>the first place ? :-)

Yes, I work for Oracle - how did you guess? ;) Unfortunately, I don't work in Development and I suspect only the creator of that utility can explain the reasoning behind it - I certainly can't. Of course, you could always log it as a bug if you like :)

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> In article <pYtF8.83579$Ze.12960_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>, "koert54"
>says...

>> >There's no other way ! It seems to me Oracle is very protective about
>this
>> >tool ... they won't let you
>> >anywhere near DUL ! :-)
>>
>> Nope, and for damn good reasons. I've heard horror stories of people who
>> haven't used it the right way. I sure wouldn't want to support the
>results in
>> any other way than enforcing it as strictly as we do! :)
>>

>> >"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> >says...

>> >are
>> >ID -
>table
>> >in
>from

>be
>> >used
>> >It's a
>> >corrupt
>recover
>> >corrupt
>> >end up
>> >recovered.
>of
>> >your

>example,
>> >locations.
>see
>> >some
>> >parameters.
>> >come
>> >aftermath
>from
>nonarchivelog
>> >with
>files
>and
>> >the
>> >system
>changed

>Byrne)

>in
>> >minimize
>course

>(author
>> >of
>> >that
>this

>> >catagory
>> >tablespace
>real
>truth"
>> >Kind
>end
>> >of a

>> >LMT.

>tables

>> >system

>> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat May 18 2002 - 17:10:26 CDT