Re: Reorganizing SYSTEM tablespace

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:50:21 GMT

Chuck, I'd like to get my hands on the "someone" first.

Rollbacks never belong in the SYSTEM tablespace except for the odd one or maybe two, over the years, that Oracle wants until RBS is set up.And then you take the SYSTEM segments offline, and drop any except for the first. And now we're back to REDO and similar terms...sigh. REDO and UNDO, who would have thought? If they want us to go back to ior -w to start a database...

SYSTEM (where most SYS and SYSTEM things live) is problematic. You might try to mark it for COALESCE using an ALTER or using OEM; it can't hurt to try. Oracle Dogma from its version of the Vatican still says don't ever run statistics on the SYS and SYSTEM schemas; I would not question that; it seemingly would lead to recursive optimization and other not good things.

You might be stuck with EXPORTing and IMPORTing your system. Which might not be an entirely bad thing, given the suspicion that your helper might have done other things you discover that you do not care for.