Reorganizing SYSTEM tablespace

From: Chuck <chuckhNOSPAM_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:20:05 -0400

Oracle 8.1.7.3.0

Is it possible to reorg the system tablespace without recreating the database?

I recently discovered that my system tablespace had grown from 100m to 1.6g because someone added 1.5g of rollback segments to it. I dropped the rollback segments but now want to shrink the file back down to 100m. The problem is that after the rollback segments got created, additional extents were allocated at the end of the datafile. Is it possible to move those extents to the beginning of the free spaces in the file and then shrink the file. Those extents belong to SYS objects.

TIA

--
Chuck Hamilton
To reply remove "_NOSPAM" from the address