Re: Diagnosing a Win2k Server Crash

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 21 May 2002 02:55:34 -0700

"Mike Cretan" <mcretan_at_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:<8skG8.39$wH5.31853_at_vicpull1.telstra.net>...

> My problem is that the server will occassionally reboot itself when its
> under been under load, and there is absolutely nothing recorded in the event
> logs or alert files to indicate the problem. The process counters for
> extproc and the rdbms are constant across the board, but I suspect that a
> resource issue exists. If I schedule a database restart (not server) each
> night, the problem all but dissapears. The issue is that we need to go
> production, and the rebooting thing isn't so good!
> The crash produces the memory.dmp file, but how do I find out the offending
> application from it?

You can start with disabling automatic reboot after BSOD, it will keep your server unavailable, but you will get a message on that BSOD. From that message you can get an exact type of error (for example IRQ_less_or_equal <- my favourite) and the program which caused server crash.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.