Diagnosing a Win2k Server Crash

From: Mike Cretan <mcretan_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:58:30 +1000

Hi folks,

We've got a 8.1.7.3 server on win2k sp2 which, among other things, uses the extproc external function interface to access an australian barcoding system from Quick Address Systems using their API DLL. It works really well, processing about 1500 addresses a minute, and can be accessed real time for database cleansing.

My problem is that the server will occassionally reboot itself when its under been under load, and there is absolutely nothing recorded in the event logs or alert files to indicate the problem. The process counters for extproc and the rdbms are constant across the board, but I suspect that a resource issue exists. If I schedule a database restart (not server) each night, the problem all but dissapears. The issue is that we need to go production, and the rebooting thing isn't so good!

Can anyone give me some pointers as to how I can figure out where the problem is?

I' not a hard core C programmer, but I managed to interface the DB to the QAS API DLL, and functionally everything is sweet. I rebuilt the server from scratch to no avail, however the new server had a higher spec than the old one and the frequency between crashes definitely reduced.

The crash produces the memory.dmp file, but how do I find out the offending application from it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Mike Cretan Received on Mon May 20 2002 - 23:58:30 CDT