Re: Oracle Myths- Tablespace placement answered by Oracle

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 21:10:13 -0600

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:1021745576.11435.0.nnrp-08.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> Well - I'm off the web for a week, and look at the
> size of thread that comes up !
>
> A question I posed at the EOUG conference yesterday
> was this:
>
> "When an industry-recognised expert stands on this
> stage and tells you something that contradicts what
> you heard yesterday from an industry-recognised
> expert, who are you going to believe ?"
>
> I hope the answer is "the one who tells you WHY
> they make a claim, demonstrates a proof of the
> claim, and shows you how to repeat the demonstration
> for yourself".

I agree. One of the premises that I have is to try and (micro?) benchmark as much as possible. I may write a small little looping program to prove/disprove. My other favorite thing to do (mentioned and probably burried somewhere) is to par/strace/truss to an Oracle process and 'see' what it's doing from a system call perspective. Of course I do that on a development environment. I encourage all folks to do this, very cool to see a read()/write() call. <g>

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com