Re: Oracle 9iAS: Forms compatibility between NT and Unix

From: bhogak <bhogak_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 13:44:50 GMT

Compilation - Depending upon the complexity of your forms, you might get compilation errors. But compiling forms on a new platform itself should not be a big deal as you can write a small shell script to compile them in batch mode and most of them should compile fine. User Interface - The UI will look different than before. In fact, you might have to open some forms and work on them. Some triggers will not fire - Triggers like when-mouse-enter, when-mouse-move etc will not fire on web-deployed forms. Printer - I did not understand your situation...but we have no problems printing to the same print server from Unix or NT. Host calls - You might want to make sure that all your host calls as well as any text_io calls are working as you want.

--
bhogak
"Jeff Traigle" <traigle_at_si.umich.edu> wrote in message

> We are finally being allowed to upgrade our maintenance application at
work.

> It's currently running on HP-UX 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.4.5.0.0. The most
used
> screen is the work order entry screen and is an Xwindows/Motif Forms 4.5
> screen. (It runs on our PCs via Hummingbird Exceed, but we really need to
> get away from this for license cost reasons.) The main application that
our
> maintenance folks use is in Forms 4.5 on Windows. We never moved to the
> Windows client for the work order screens because it wasn't written to
> automatically print to a UNIX printer on the server side as the Motif one
> was. (Due to the nature of our environment this is critical and can't be
> based on Windows printing that requires proper logon the PC.)
>
> The new version is a web-based product done with Oracle 9iAS. We're
getting
> some verbal cooperation from the company regarding the printing issue,
which
> still relies on Windows printing. However, they are only releasing the AS
> side on WindowsNT/2000. Since this requires several thousands of dollars
in
> new hardware and licenses, as well as being M$ related, I was not happy
> about this news today. According to the techie guy at the company, the
forms
> must be recompiled for the different platforms as they were with the old
> Forms 4.5 stuff. All fine and good.
>
> My question...
>
> Are there significant compatibility problems that would seriously prevent
> software vendor from doing this recompile in short order and being able to
> support the product on both Windows and UNIX servers? (They have UNIX
> expertise in house so that's not an issue for them... the release of
Windows