Re: Oracle 9iAS: Forms compatibility between NT and Unix

From: Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:29:54 GMT

On 5/18/02 9:44 AM, in article
mVsF8.55883$Po6.20305_at_rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net, "bhogak" <bhogak_at_attbi.com> wrote:

> Compilation - Depending upon the complexity of your forms, you might get
> compilation errors. But compiling forms on a new platform itself should not
> be a big deal as you can write a small shell script to compile them in batch
> mode and most of them should compile fine.

That was rather my thinking. A few may cause problems (and there are Reports that presumably would also need recompiled also), but with any luck there would be few that need attention to work on a UNIX Oracle 9iAS system from the NT/2000.

> User Interface - The UI will look different than before. In fact, you might
> have to open some forms and work on them.

I knew there were UI appearance differences between the UNIX and Windows Forms 4.5. Differences still exist for the 9iAS Forms on the different server platforms?

> Some triggers will not fire - Triggers like when-mouse-enter,
> when-mouse-move etc will not fire on web-deployed forms.

Well, the forms in the new product we're talking about are already web-deployed. They're only releasing on Oracle 9iAS for NT/2000, however. I wouldn't think recompiling the same web-based forms for Oracle 9iAS for a UNIX platform would affect this at all.

> Printer - I did not understand your situation...but we have no problems
> printing to the same print server from Unix or NT.

This is a bit weird to explain without people being able to see it. I'll try some text-based diagrams to clear it up...

The current system works like this for work order printing:

UNIX server with Forms 4.5 -> Print work order to printer

        ^

Windows9X with Hummingbird Exceed or Xterminal client

The new Oracle 9iAS version of the software only does printing this way:

Oracle 9iAS server

Client computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader -> Print work order to printer

What our environment really requires is to put the printing of work orders back on the server side of the equation like this:

Oracle 9iAS server -> Print work order to printer

        ^

Windows9X or Xterminal client with web browser

This part the guy doesn't think is a big deal, but isn't sure how much time it will take to implement the requirement into this new version of software. My boss and the software company will likely go rounds about it too since it's a software change from their standard way of packaging it.

--
Jeff Traigle
traigle_at_si.umich.edu