Re: Oracle Myths

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:51:38 +0200

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> To be fair to developers there is
> a DBA myth which says that you should only validate data in the database you
> don't need to do it in the application.

And there are applications which validate nothing in the database, use no referential integrity etc. and do everything in the application layer (e.g. Oracle Applications).
Other applications I've seen do everything in the database, they have loads of triggers, make massive use of DBMS_JOB and totaly rely on database mechanisms. What do you suggest developers when they ask you how to design their application?

Regards,

Knut Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 03:51:38 CDT