Re: Oracle Myths

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:38:55 +0100

> > Suggested list to be added to, deleted from etc
> >

> One more I've been hitting very often of late:
>
> - You cannot create declarative RI across schemas. Oracle doesn't let
> you do it.
> (could it be these people have never heard of the REFERENCES grant?)
>
> - Defining RI in application code is safer and less maintenance
> intensive than doing it in the databse.

Interesting the same thing is coming up frequently in microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming.
I think this is probably a database myth. To be fair to developers there is a DBA myth which says that you should only validate data in the database you don't need to do it in the application.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA