Re: Oracle 8i Clustering / Fail-over

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 15 May 2002 11:54:29 -0700

In article <8a157c15.0205150846.335c2c1_at_posting.google.com>, sbruton_at_neospire.net says...

>Can someone please tell me what clustering / fail-over options are
>available for Oracle 8i? I've been reading about OPS and Fail-Safe
>options but I'm unclear as to what software licenses are needed to run
>these (i.e. Std/Ent edition, etc). Thanks in advance.

A couple of different options:

  1. Use clustering / failover capabilities at the OS layer. Requires nothing additional from Oracle, but you need to restart the database after the failure.
  2. Add OPS. (Sidenote - much easier to use RAC with 9i, but you have specified 8i). Gives you higher availability but may need tweaking from a performance perspective (not needed if you're only using active/standby configuration)
  3. OPFS - Oracle Parallel Fail Safe. An add on to OPS that makes it much easier to manage and handle failovers. Don't confuse this with FailSafe, which is purely a product for the Windows environment.

All these three are handling machine failover, not site failover. For site failover investigate Advanced Replication or Standby (now known as DataGuard).

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 13:54:29 CDT